Friday, May 7, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

OK, so it's been awhile. I haven't written in an exorbitant 38 days. But I'm back. And despite what's happened in these 38 days, (horrendous immigration reform laws being passed in Arizona, a cloud of volanic ash shrouding Europe, a potential car bombing in NYC, and let's not forget the dawning of a new form of obesity with the new KFC heart-attack in a meal double-down sandwich,) my filanges are functioning, and I am back to writing. I know my lovely readers at Chapman University are stoked.

Yesterday, while sitting in my office, I was pondering some of the recent choices that I've made. Some have been uncharacteristic, and have potentially caused my character to be misrepresented. But no one has made them for me, and I must accept their consequences and move on.

My mom has told me since I was young that I must take responsibility for my actions. (Which may be why I have an overactive conscience).

Newton tells us that for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction. (Which is why I've never been good at physics).

And UN Leader Koffi Anan tells us, "To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there."

I came across this quote, and, like the true over-analyst that I am, dissected it as it applies to me. I encourage you to do the same--it really helps to put things in perspective.

Who am I?
Janel Anna Waite Schepman--quirky,funny,intelligent,fun,knowledgeable,kind, tempermental,idealistic,imaginitive,hard-working.

What do I stand for?
Christianity,helping people,enjoying life,positivity,promoting a mutual understanding among people and cultures,supporting my family and friends,creativity, humor,wit, intellect,drive and ambition.

Where do I want to go?
Geographically? Anywhere and everywhere! We'll start with South America, Tel Aviv and Thailand.
In general: I would like to ascertain a job that I enjoy, that challenges me creatively and intellectually, I would like to be surrounded by people I care about, I would like to find someone who I love and who loves me (for all my crazy idiosyncracies) in return, and, eventually, I would like to get married and have children.

Why do I want to get there?
To be fulfilled, to feel appreciated and inspired--to give to the world what I know I am capable of giving.

As I've said, I'm idealistic. This may not be the eventual outcome in my life, but this is what I want. And I'm going to try my damndest to make decisions that yield these results.

No comments:

Post a Comment